Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Scrivener...

Okay first, before I start this post, I need to say

OH. MY. GAH!!!!!!

Okay, I think I'm done.

I just spent the last half an hour trying to find something in Scrivener and it has now prompted a blog post.

Seriously.

I ADORE Scrivener, truly, I do. But these last few weeks have been a complete nightmare with it.

First of all, if you are using Windows and having an issue with Scrivener (Not Responding), allow me to enlighten you.

Go to your C:\Program Files\Scrivener, or, C:\Program Files(x86)\Scrivener and find the .exe file.

Right click, select Properties.

Select the "Compatibility" tab and check the box "Run this application in compatibility mode for" and leave it for whatever is the default or already highlighted selection.

If this doesn't work, re-start you computer and try again. If it still doesn't work, select the compatibility mode until you get it to work properly.

Now that we're through there, let me just say I could not find my live word count bar to save my life. Each section used to show me a live word count and character count. I didn't know what happened, but when I finally got Scrivener to boot properly, my word count was gone.

*POOF!*

Disappeared. Like I said, I just spent a half hour trying to find it again, searching Google, getting warmer when I learned it was called a "live word count bar". This is something I need to have showing! I can't just stop and do an overall project statistics to find my word count or pause to hit Ctrl+whatever...

I got used to that little guy down there and I thought he was gone forever!

But I found it. So I'm sharing this information with you in case you run into a similar issue. Because my bar did just disappear when I finally got the program to launch.

It's in your Footer display. Which I did not know. I feel sort of silly, slightly stupid, but hey, it's all good now.

So if your live word count bar is gone from the bottom of your screen, select "View", go to "Layout" and make sure there is a check mark next to "Footer View".

Thank you, that is all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Used to use Scrivener. Used to love Scrivener. Used to write all my novels in Scrivener.

Until one day, Scrivener suffered a severe memory loss. In fact everything typed over the previous two months had disappeared. I tried everything, including googling the problem, and searching Scrivener forums.

Fortunately, I believe in backing up and RTF copies that I was able to use. But I'm afraid that I have never trusted Scrivener since. So now I use an old piece of software called WriteItNow, and Word - in conjunction with Excel, Aeon Timeline and a few other programs.

Suspect that I should have been more determined like you. Perseverance might have left me using an awesome program.

However, when I transferred my old files to a new hard drive running Windows 8.1, Scrivener started behaving again... and the lost files returned. WEIRD.