Wednesday, April 2, 2014

B Is For Brigandine...

Today's letter is brought to you by... well, you know.

B. Today, B is for Brigandine. Armor, that is.

For most of you who read and write fantasy, some of this stuff will be easily recognizable. For some, it won't. But since I am a fantasy author AND reader, I figured this just might help put an image in your brain the next time you come across a description of armor or weaponry you can't instantly recall.

So what is Brigandine armor?

Brigandine Armor
Well, from the 12th to the 16th century, brigandine armor was a cloth garment, usually canvas or leather, with steel plates riveted to it. These were refinements of earlier coats of plate. The 12th century version had larger plates than the 14th century version. The 15th century version opened in the front. Brigandine was commonly worn over gambesons and mail shirts, eventually being worn from archers to knights. The simplicity of brigandine armor allowed the common soldier to do his own repairs without having to pay a skilled blacksmith. *(Information from Wikipedia.)*

It's also the day for Insecure Writer's Support Group. On that front, I can't say I have any 'B' related insecurities, but I am Busy!

Ideas have been flowing, I'm making jewelry and all I can offer up to anyone else in the same situation is keep focused. I know. The 'F' word! Lol!

But focus is what has been helping me. And I'm not usually a focused kind of girl. I'm ADD girl, honestly, when it comes to a lot of stuff. I can't stay focused, but let me tell ya, these days, it has been hard work to remain focused! I even try to make lists of what it is I need to do the next day. THAT is how focused I'm becoming. I may not feel like staying focused, but in order to get all this done, I have to be. So stay focused and take things one day at a time!

Happy blogging, everyone!

5 comments:

Margo Kelly said...

Great post! :) I'm stopping in from both the A to Z Challenge and the IWSG. I hope you have a fabulous month!

Unknown said...

That's really interesting about the armor. I did not know most of those facts :)
Thanks for sharing!

~ Kim

Unknown said...

You picked a hard theme, can't wait to see what you do with the hard letters
Nice to follow and connect http://aimingforapublishingdeal.blogspot.co.uk/

Anonymous said...

Useful post - thanks.

Anonymous said...

Useful post - thanks.