Monday, November 25, 2013

It's All About Character...

So, was watching Charmed the other night. Yes, I know. Stick with me, I have a point.

It was the episode where the Elders took Leo away from Piper when they tried to secretly get hitched. Holly Marie Combs plays Piper in the series and I've always liked her best. Simply because I like her acting and how she portrays her character, Piper.

It was the end of the show and Piper was crying. But it was more than that. It was moving. I mean, I could have cried right along with her.

When any other character cries, I feel like, "Meh. Come on, get over it already." But not with Piper.

It isn't just Charmed, either.

The scene in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. You know the one, where Edward... I mean Cedric dies. It's a powerful scene, made more so by not just Daniel Radcliffe's portrayal of Harry, but of Jeff Rawle's portrayal as well, (Amos Diggory, Cedric's dad). The wail of a man who just lost his son. I've seen other movies where it comes across as mildly moving, but this guy nailed it. I bawled.

Maybe it's because I'm a mom. Maybe not.

We're moved by these characters, not just in movies, but in books, too.

Tell me you haven't gotten the sniffles during emotional scenes of your favorite books. When I was reading Melanie Rawn's "Dragon Prince" series, I cried when Rohan died and again, when Sioned died. The scenes were powerful, the characters, well loved.

So when you're writing, of course you want to move your readers. You want them to feel like they're right there in the scene with the characters. That they'll make your readers laugh or cry. That is something that is easily accomplished when you have good, developed characters.

Make sure you take the time to dig a little deeper into your character's psyche.

What characters have you been moved by?

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Never been moved to tears by a book, although my first book made readers cry. Movies are a different story. (Then I claim it's allergies.)

Mel Chesley said...

Ahh yes, those pesky "movie allergies". I get them too. ;)

Aldrea Alien said...

I had to put the book down for a few days when Rohan died because it was just too much. I was more prepared for Sioned's death.

The Cheysuli series is a bit of rollercoaster in that, too. Mainly because it goes over several generations and ordinary people don't live forever.