Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Day After...

I want to thank everyone for all your comments yesterday. And a huge welcome to my new followers!

I love all the topics that come up during IWSG, the comments, the discussions. Alex, you've come across something wonderful and thanks for thinking of the idea!

Everyone seems to have Mr. King in their sights, wanting to knock him off his "lofty perch", someone said. I find that rather amusing, actually.

King was big in his day and it just seems to me that when he fell to the wayside it hurt his feelings. He tried too hard to get his glory back without just letting it go and accept it gracefully and tastefully.

Now, you all know I am not much of a Meyers fan, but King takes it a bit too far, trying to rub Rowling's success in Meyers' face. I saw a couple of minutes of a YouTube video where a fan of Meyers was telling King where to go. That's putting it nicely. But I couldn't watch the whole thing. Why?

Weeeellll.... to be honest, I sort of agreed with one of King's comments about Meyers. I don't want to get into details, I know some of my followers like the 'Twilight' series.

While having a fan like that could be flattering, I don't know that I would want anyone that fanatical about any of my books broadcasting their opinion of me like that. Honestly, it was sort of creepy. It felt like this person was, while sticking up for Meyers, acting as if it was her job to put King in his place. Will King ever watch it? Maybe. Maybe not. But the fan seemed to be trying a bit too hard to use large words, but when her temper got the best of her, she faltered. Maybe it was just me. Either way, I don't usually watch those sort of things on YouTube. I prefer watching episodes of "The Guild".

King just needs to step out of the limelight and let the others in his field have their moment of glory. I like his books, don't get me wrong. But it did get to a point where I did get bored with a couple of his books. Sadly, I haven't picked up a new one since. I guess I am an Old School King Fan. We'll just leave it at that.

What about you? Did you have a successful IWSG day? If you ever make it big (or not so big) will you know when its time to bow out and just let your books speak for you?

Have a great rest of the week everyone!

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks, Mel! Yesterday was amazing and I'm still going through the list.
I think any author starts losing their edge after a while.
And think of the fans who have Twilight tattooed all over their bodies. Now that IS taking it way too far! I've be freaked if someone had a Cosbolt on his arm.

ali cross said...

I am a big fat loser and forgot to post yesterday. :( BUT I shall participate in January to be sure!

I'm not really aware of anything between Meyers/King so .... I don't have much to say!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I used to read everything King put out but like you, lately, all his books seem the same. That's as close as I would get to trashing a fellow author. It's not good form and you only look...mean.

Mel Chesley said...

Wow, Alex, I didn't know people had tattoos! Scary...

Look forward to January then, Ali!

True, Susan. While I don't know/remember the exact quote from King about Rowling and Meyers, it seemed pretty harsh. I may not like what Meyers has written, but there are thousands who do. But, it is my opinion, but I won't go around trashing her. I do have nice things to say about her books.