Sunday, July 17, 2011

Imagination, Passion & Potter...


Let me just say... I SAW IT!! Woooohoooo!

The new Harry Potter movie, of course. Finally!

I'm sitting here still trying to process everything I saw. I read all of the books, of course, but the movies were good as well. Just like when I finished the last book, this last movie has left me feeling a bit sad that it is the end.

Now, I have to back up here. Just a little bit, mind you. When I was a kid/teenager, my brother pretty much gave me a really good piece of advice. You see, we're both into movies and music. Movies and music really affect us. It is really sort of hard to describe. We're very passionate about these two things and sometimes (well, more than just sometimes) we get odd, really odd looks. From our family. Or better yet, the "oh-my-god-you're-insane-what-is-with-you?" head shake.

Anyway... when I was a kid and trying to fit in with all the other kids in their tastes in music and movies and their oh so sought after approval for voicing their opinion... my brother told me this. "Don't take someone else's word for it. Listen to it, or watch it (depending on if it was music or a movie we were discussing) and form your own opinion of it."

But that isn't the case with the Harry Potter books and movies. I've loved them from the start. I went into the movies knowing they wouldn't be exactly like the books and I was okay with that. But I got to see how Rowling saw things in her mind's eye.

Movies like Harry Potter move me, inspire me... I mean... I think my husband and I (and some guy five rows back) were the only ones in the theater crying and cheering. There weren't many there, it was a Sunday matinee after all. But a couple of kids giggled at our reactions. I ignored them. I usually do. But there were times when it was so quiet and people were absorbed in what was happening. I adore movies like that. Stories like that. Again... hard to describe. And that, to me, is what makes a movie or book or song unforgettable, something I will treasure and cherish and read/watch/listen to over and over again.

**Spoiler alert**


And it was about time Ron and Hermione kissed!!!

5 comments:

Jamie Gibbs said...

Lol, I agree the kiss was long overdue. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, it was likely the best of the series :D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It was a great way to end the series!

Mel Chesley said...

It was totally awesome! Love, love, loved it. :D

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

I actually liked the first half much better than the second. The tresor/dragon sequence was jaw-dropping, but the the attack over Hogwarts wasn't as spectacular as I expected it to be, nor vry thrilling. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Prisoner of Azkaban still remains my favoirite of the series though. :)

Mel Chesley said...

I liked the dragon scene as well. Poor dragon! I liked Prisoner of Azkaban, but it isn't my favorite. Not sure I really have a favorite. Hmm....